Hello everyone! Recently I am facing problem while accessing my Seagate 2TB external hard disk that all of a sudden it says it needs to be formatted. This hard disk contains my important photos, videos, documents, and other important data. Can anyone tell the reasons behind this external hard drive format disk error? And how can I fix my external hard drive that says it needs to be formatted issue?
Hello Sandra Diaz
Below are the reasons why you are getting My external hard drive says it needs to be formatted error?
1. Sudden power outage issues are also responsible for such type of problems while you were copying files to the external hard drive. This must be the reason the user has to face external hard drive format disk problem.
2. Improper removal of the external hard drive will also lead to this My external hard drive says it needs to be a formatted error.
3. Due to Virus attacks, the file system gets corrupted and the user has to face this type of issues.
4. In case if there are bad sectors in the external hard drive file then in such situations external hard drive asking to format before use.
Hello, if you are getting this error external hard drive format disk problem then I will suggest you plug it into a different USB port or plug into the different computer. Sometimes it works
1. First, the user has to connect the external hard disk drive to another PC.
2. Now right-click on the computer the user has to check this external drive shows up or not.
Hello Kerry Morris,
I tried this method to solve external hard drive format disk problem but it didn’t work for me. Can anyone suggest with some another solution how can I fix my external hard drive that says it needs to be formatted issue? Basically, I am in fear of data loss situation.
I have some manual tricks to solve this problem. Below is a solution to know how to fix format disk error without format
1. First, the user has to open the run by pressing Windows + R.
2. Now the user has to type CMD.
3. Then Type chkdsk ‘drive letter’:f (In case if your drive letter is J then the user has to type
chkdsk j:/f and then press enter.
I Hope this will help to solve external hard drive format disk problem
Hello, In case manual tricks won’t work for you then I will suggest you to use safe and reliable solution to solve my external hard drive that says it needs to be formatted error. By taking the help of SysTools Hard Drive Data Recovery Software. By using this software It helps to recover formatted and corrupted hard drive file.
Yeah Sure! You need to follow certain steps – To recover your data from hard disk
1. Download and Install the software.
2. Now you have to select Scanning Mode
3. Choose the partition and Hit the scanning Mode.
4. Preview the complete data.
5. Select the Folders which you want to recover.
6. Browse the location to start the export process.
Thanks! This software is amazing. I will suggest this software to everyone who wants to know how can I fix my external hard drive that says it needs to be a formatted error. Because of this software it simply helps me to save my crucial files and folders present in the present in the Hard drive. For all those who are facing such type of external hard drive, format disk problem can prefer this software.