Know How to Import MBOX Mail into Thunderbird without any Trouble
Mozilla Thunderbird is cross-communication emailing platform and an open source program that is completely free. It offers many different services to PC users and permits them to integrate various mailboxes with SMTP and POP protocols. Thunderbird is a light-weighted application that stores all its emails, contacts, calendars, and other data items in the mailbox format known as MBOX. Sometimes it becomes necessary for users to import MBOX mail into Thunderbird because it is a widely used email client. After importing emails in MBOX format, users are required to open MBOX file in Thunderbird for accessing them through the respective email application. To import MBOX mail to Thunderbird “ImportExportTools” add-ons installation is obligatory because it enables the import functionality of the Thunderbird.
Before initiating the import operation, it is recommended to take a back up of newly created MBOX data file. It is so because manual procedures are prone to permanent data loss and backup ensures that the data can be restored in case if the file goes inaccessible or corrupted. Let us discuss the different techniques to add MBOX to Thunderbird profile; users may require these techniques due to different necessities.
The source can be:
- If users have been exported various file format into MBOX that is required to import into Thunderbird
- Users may have their old MBOX files saved on the hard drive or other external drive and they want to add MBOX into Thunderbird
- When users are required to access their Gmail data from Thunderbird email client
Approach 1: Manual Way to Import MBOX Mail into Thunderbird
Follow the down-mentioned guidelines to move MBOX mail to Thunderbird manually:
- Open Mozilla Thunderbird application
- After launching, click on Tools tab and select ImportExportTools option
- Select Import MBOX file from the appeared list of options
- MBOX Import wizard will open now. Click on Import button to move directly one or more MBOX files
- This time, you have to click on Ok button to import MBOX to Thunderbird email client
- If you are required to import MBOX file with subdirectories then, you can choose Import one or more MBOX files, with its subdirectory and then click Ok
- Now, browse the MBOX data files from their location and click on the Open button for importing the converted MBOX files to Thunderbird
After importing emails to Mozilla Thunderbird, users can access them anytime via the desktop email client. Furthermore, one can store the MBOX files on an external hard drive or other off-site location to access them from other compatible email clients i.e., Netscape, Entourage, Spicebird, AppleMail, PocoMail, Eudora etc.
Limitations of Manual Method
- High-risk of permanent data loss
- Not suitable for large amount of data
- Time-consuming procedure
- Technical knowledge is must
Approach 2: Professional Way to Import MBOX Mail into Thunderbird
As manual method comprises many serious issues that can cause corruption or data loss. To overcome the cons of the manual method, we recommend users one of the most tested and trusted utilities: Thunderbird Import Wizard. The software allows users to import MBOX emails with attachments to Thunderbird. One can import single or multiple MBOX files through its Select file(s) or Select Folder option. The tool supports to import the desired emails from MBOX files via its Date Filter alternative.
The above article describes the ways to import MBOX mail into Thunderbird. Here, we have discussed two methods where first is manual and other is automatic. The manual approach is fine to execute, however, if users do not have the basic technical knowledge then they should prefer automatic technique.