How to Automatically Move Email To Specific Folder in Outlook
I have a friend of mine who wants to move email to specific folder in Outlook with all messages. Could you please suggest me how do I help her with her task of moving the emails? Thanks in advance.
The user needs to move all emails from a default folder to a specific folder in Outlook, for example, to a public folder.
Solution to Move Email To Specific Folder in Outlook
Before we run through the instructions, we need to know something about rules in Outlook. A rule is that action which is automatically performed on the received and sent messages in MS Outlook. The user can choose what can trigger the rule as well as set the actions for the rule. So for example, a rule can be set to delete all messages with the subject line “Buy Now” or a rule can be created to move all the messages from the manager to some other specified folder. The advantage of using the rules is that the manual and repetitive actions are reduced thus managing the email messages becomes easy.
The steps for the process to Move Email To Specific Folder in Outlook are:
Step 1: The Public Folders Structure
- In the Outlook menu go to the default ‘Sent Items’ folder and select Tools, Rules, and Alerts.
- Now you need to click the New Rule option.
Step 2: The Rules Wizard
- In this, you need to locate the ‘Start from a Blank Rule’ section and then the ‘Apply rule on the messages I send’ is to be selected before clicking Next.
- Here check ‘through the specified account’ box option and click on the underlined ‘specified’ link.
- The list of all the defined accounts is displayed in a dialog box. Select the account for this rule.
Step 3: The selection of the specified folder
- Again in the Rules Wizard window, check the ‘move a copy to the specified folder’ box and in the bottom sub-window click on the underlined ‘specified’ link.
- A browser window opens wherein you need to select the public folder to which the messages will be moved. Select the folder to where the emails have to be moved and then click OK.
Step 4: The naming and tweaking of the newly created rule
- When you click on the Next button, you will be taken to the Exceptions window. Here the user has the freedom to define the exceptions where the rule may not be applied.
- After defining the exceptions, click the Next button. The Summary Dialog box will be displayed and it is here that you can set a name for the newly created rule.
- After typing the name for the rule, press Finish button and then click OK. The new rule is thus saved.
Advantages of Above Method
- In organizations where the emails sent from multiple folders need to be accessed in a single public folder; the above method is the solution for this. This enables the tracking of the emails according to whether they are replied to or not and if yes, by whom are they replied.
- Also, this rule can be used to move emails to specific folder in Outlook in your system itself. This can be done either to organize your emails or to sort out some important emails. When the emails in your inbox are disorganized, you can move them to a different specified folder and then organize them in the folder.
- In an organization when you need to sort the emails according to the company that has sent the mails, then a new rule can be created to move only those emails sent by the client company to a specified public folder. This helps in categorizing the mails as per the client list and enables easy tracking of the emails sent by the client company.
This article deals to move email to specific folder in Outlook with all messages using the Rule wizard. Also, it discusses the advantages of this method in organizations for the easy tracking of the client emails.