Due to some advanced features of Azure like (secuirty, scalability, cost saving, etc) we decided to move SQL database to azure. Actually, we have one of the outdated versions of SQL Server so we decided to move to Azure SQL Server. Can anyone tell me what are the different techniques for migarting on-premise SQL Server database to Azure SQL database? All suggetions are welcome.
One of the technique to migrate SQL Server database to Azure is creating Bacpac File from SQL Database & then importing bacpac file to Azure.
Steps are as follows:
Create Bacpac File
1. Open the (SSMS) and connect to the database file.
2. Select the database file, right-click on it and choose Tasks >> Export Data-tier Application.
3. A wizard will open and you have to click Next on the first screen.
4. Choose Export Settings >> Settings tab >> Browse to save the bacpac file in local drive or Azure Storage account.
5. If you wish to upload the complete database, select all objects and click on Next.
6. Verify the information from the Summary page and click Finish.
7. Click on Close when the process to save bacpac file is over.
Upload the Bacpac File in Azure
1. From SSMS, connect to Azure Server.
2. Select the database and right-click on it to select Import Data-tier Application.
3. On the Introductory page, click Next.
4. Choose Import Settings and click on Browse to add the Bacpac file. Click on Next.
5. On Database Settings page, configure Azure database by entering required data like new database name, edition, and maximum size. Click Next.
6. Check the information provided in the Summary page and click on Finish.
7. After successful Import, click on close button.
Note: You can check the respective Azure Server in the portal of Microsoft Azure in order to verify the migration process.