Microsoft Outlook is the most prominent and stable email client application. By using Microsoft Outlook application a user can compose, send, receive and manage one or more email accounts.
This application also allows the user to create and manage contacts calendar and tasks, journal etc. All the mailbox data of Microsoft Outlook application stores in a single PST file. But sometimes one of the most widespread problem Outlook users have to face is “Outlook.pst cannot be opened” issue.
Outlook applications produce this error message when a user tried to open the PST file that has been corrupted. Microsoft Outlook throws this error message when something wrong happens with the PST file where all the emails, contacts and other mailbox items are saved. This message indicates that the Outlook PST file is not stable and some of its elements have corrupted. So in this article We are going to discuss the reasons behind Outlook PST file cannot be opened issue and we will also provide you with the best possible solution to resolve this issue. Before proceeding to the solution part lets discuss the reasons for Outlook data file .pst cannot be opened problem.
Outlook Error PST Cannot Be Opened Issue- Know the Reasons
Here are the several reasons for this error message.
- Outlook data file PST has been corrupted, damaged, or lost.
- Microsoft Outlook application crashed because of hardware failure or power failure.
- In case if Hard disk or windows system crashes.
- In the case when PST file crosses the maximum size limit.
- Abruptly or unexpected system shutdown, virus attacks, Outlook error are responsible.
Manual Method to Resolve Outlook.pst Cannot Be Opened Issue
To repair a PST file manually the user can use inbox repair tool. It is a free utility provided by Microsoft Outlook application. When MS Outlook is installed the inbox repair tool also gets installed on your computer. Follow the steps below to repair PST file easily.
- Step 1: First exit all the Outlook services and browse any of the following locations to find the tool SCANPST.EXE
- Step 2: Now the user has to double click on the ScanPST.exe to open the wizard.
- Step 3: Select the PST file you want to repair.
- Step 4: Now click on start and then choose repair in case if the scanning finds the error.
Limitations of Manual Methods to Resolve Error Message Outlook.pst Cannot Be Opened
- This process is a lengthy process and it consumes lots or users time.
- Manual method to solve this issue requires strong technical skills.
- Risk of data loss.
Automated Solution to Resolve Outlook.pst Cannot be Opened Error
The above discussed manual solution has major limitations. In case if the manual process is not performed properly the user has to face data loss situations. So to avoid all these issues the user can take the help of this SysTools Outlook Recovery Software
This software is one of the best solutions to repair corrupted Outlook PST files. And allows the user to restore the PST file as PST/ EML/MSG/ HTML and Office 365. This utility can easily recover emails, contacts, calendar, tasks, journal easily. Outlook PST file recovery software is capable to decrypt S/MIME and OpenPGP encryption from Outlook messages. For more info, the user can download the demo version of this software.
In this article, we have explained the problem Outlook.pst cannot be opened the issue. We have given the various reasons for this problem. To solve this issue we have given the Manual and automated solutions to resolve this issue. The manual process has some limitations in that case the user can take the help of professional solution SysTools Outlook Recovery tool.